It is a question that often comes up; a question that many individuals seek the answer to, yet, often leave unanswered. Who am I?
A series of other questions usually tag along. Where do I come from? Where am I going? How am I going to get there? These are the most basic and common ones among all the ones that arise. So, who am I?
I am a first generation Latina college student, currently attending Benedictine University at Mesa, intending to major in Communication Arts. Often times, when people wonder where my roots are from, they think that I am mixed and not fully Mexican, but indeed, I am not mixed! I was the oldest of three, until my father remarried; I have a step-brother who is older than me by a month! My other three siblings are currently in high school, so, it gets chaotic sometimes. (By the way, I am now the second oldest of five.)
When I was asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?," I was always stumped because my thoughts and ideas were all over the place; I wanted to do everything, seriously. First, I would say that I wanted to be a teacher (that was in first grade), then, I wanted to be an artist (I stuck with that one for a few years). It wasn't until my junior high years when I started to enjoy creative writing, including writing essays for my 8th grade English class with Mr.Denniston. But, even then I wasn't so sure journalism and such was what I wanted to do as a lifelong career. I also enjoyed History very much! The social studies, I think, was my thing! After the first semester of high school, I realized that I truly did enjoy the humanities. I was involved in programs and competitions such as We The People, YMCA District Mock Trial, Teen Court, and Model United Nations. That last one listed, that's the one that changed all of my ideas of what it was that I wanted to do "when I grew up." My new dream: I was going to work within the United Nations someday.
So, why a Communication Arts major, right? Well, the plan is to first obtain my undergraduate degree, Bachelor of Arts. The major I chose is something I enjoy doing and is preparing me well for a graduate degree. I intend to go to Law School, possibly immediately after my Bachelor's, if not, I will work towards earning a Master's in some branch of Business first, then, graduate school. However, I do have in mind that most students change their major at least once, and although I feel very confident in what it is that I want to do with my life, I also know that there is a higher King that watches over us and sometimes guides us in different paths. So, obviously my plans are not set in stone. Things change and people change.
No comments:
Post a Comment