I was staring out the window, watching how each glittery snowflake gently landed on each other. I had been standing in front of that window for a while, debating whether I should go or not. Today was his last day, he was leaving early morning tomorrow, back to Monterrey, and I had to say good-bye. He was my crush.
I went for it. I put on my boots, my big puffy coat, my scarf and my gloves and I was out the door without anyone knowing it. I still, to this day, have no idea how I managed to go out the front door without anyone seeing me.
Walking there wasn't far, ten minutes tops. The falling snow had slowed down, everything was still, the only noises I heard was the crunch of the snow as I made each step and every once in a while a car would slowly pass.
When I finally arrived, I took my time trying to ring the doorbell. The woman who opened the door was his aunt. She was also my elementary school friend's mom-- unfortunately, our friendship slowly drifted apart when we began middle school. Now that we were in high school, a friendship no longer existed, we were just teammates in soccer and classmates in some courses-- she was kind and welcomed me inside. I told her the reason I was there and she called my crush to come downstairs because he had a visitor. He was surprised to see me and asked me a ton of questions. How did you get here? You walked, how long? Are you cold? What are you doing here? That last question, I wanted to tell him that I was there because I had a crush on him and I couldn't bear to see him go without saying good-bye and without wishing him we'll, but I couldn't; I didn't have the guts to do it. I ended up telling him pretty much everything except the most important part, that I had a crush on him. He had always seen me as a friend, I had known it all along because he liked another girl, he made it very obvious.
I hugged him before I left. They offered to give me a ride but I kindly rejected the offer. I needed to walk back home and clear my head a bit. As I walked through the slush on the road, I wanted to let my tears become part of the slush, but I managed to hold them in. I took a good look at the snow and began thinking that my crush story is like the snow. At first, it is beautiful to look at and play in, but once it's gone, it's gone.
![]() |

No comments:
Post a Comment