Tuesday, October 15, 2013

When Love Arrives


This Spoken Word poem is very unique, true, and humorous  It is very effective in capturing its audience because of the tone and voice the speakers use. At times, the speakers voices will change from excitement to silent-whisper-romantic-like. By having both a female voice and a male voice, the audience is better able to follow and understand the words being said. There is no confusion on who said what, such as a question like, "Was it the female or the male speaking?" This is very different to other love poems and writings. For one, it is an audio, and two, it allows one to follow the reading easily in addition to brief drawings. There is definitely a lot of visuals going on. But, that is in a way what makes it effective. At the same time, the words are very true and humorous because it speaks about love in both the beautiful things and the non-beautiful things like embarrassing moments with family and not expecting love to arrive at certain points of life. It talks about loving the other individual with all its faults and virtues because, after all, that is what love really is-- accepting one for who they are. 

The words do a great job at appealing to the senses such as looks and smells. For example, there is a point in the video in which both individuals talk about how in seventh grade they knew how love looked like. There were certain ways they dressed and did their hair. This was a very unique approach to "love" as compared to classic and contemporary love poems. Shakespeare's, for example, tends to have language that is rather difficult to read, follow, and understand. Plus, they rarely speak about the bad habits of the other individual, instead, they only look at the "good" things of love or the "good" things of their loved one. Rarely do they speak of the negative things of love.

Below you will find a sample love poem I wrote. It has a different approach to love as well. It is not necessarily a romantic kind of love, but definitely has allusions and metaphors to it.

Heavenly “Boyfriend”

       You are my Boyfriend         
the one I dedicate my time to.

I listen to Your Word every night before going to sleep
And
Every morning that I wake,
I am thankful for You being a big part of my life.

For every meal You are there
For every tear You are there
…to wipe away
For every wrinkle on my face
…You were there.

The more I know of You, the more I want to seek of You…

You are my first love
You loved me before I ever loved You

And when I left You,
You never did leave me.

The Rooster let You know the times I denied having known You
and You didn't hold it against me.

You took from me the ones I most loved
So I told You I hated You
I didn't understand how they could be in a better place
when You tried to explain
But with chocolates and roses I forgave you.

I didn't deserve Your help when (on my knees) I asked You for it,
But You helped me anyway.

When I cross a bridge
You send Your Angel to protect me

In my dreams I am like Sleeping Beauty
only a Royal Prince can wake me

You are my Boyfriend
There is no other like You

I Love You



No comments:

Post a Comment