Monday, November 25, 2013

The Lamppost

The Lamppost

There’s a lamppost outside;
It’s bowing down
To avoid getting the rain in his eyes.
He bows all day and looks sad
whether come rain or come shine
because he is too thin and too tall
to cover anyone at all
from the droplets of rain or from the rays of the sun.

From across the office’s glass doors, I see him.
He just stands there,
day in and day out.

On this gorgeous gloomy autumn day
His tears blend in with the rain
And there’s something I wish I could do.
People pass him with their umbrellas
And the more he looks blue.

As I locked the doors behind me at one past five
I approached the evergreen lamppost
And just stood beside.

I lifted my head and looked down the street
There were many more lampposts;
And they all pretended to not notice me.

They all turned away from each other
As if they were all mad with one another

I thought about them and wondered what I should do
I looked up at the lampposts standing beside me
And not even my company had made him change his mood.

I looked back as I walked away,
They all looked so miserable,
And they made me feel that way too.

Forget it, I said.
Tomorrow I’ll bring a sharpie instead.

From across the office’s glass doors, I see them.
They just stand there,
day in and day out.
But now they bow down...
with smiles on their heads.



Author: Laura Sanchez

No comments:

Post a Comment